Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Socky Spring!

Happy Spring! At least I’m hoping Spring is finally here. It’s been a long, hard winter, and it’s been a long time since I’ve posted. I’ve spent some time reorganizing my life and my interests, and what has been the end result? After 20+ years as a self-identified and degreed fiber artist, I’ve finally taken up knitting and found my personal happy land.

Why has it taken me so long to learn to knit? I keep asking myself the same question. I can felt, needle felt, weave, embroider, and countless other fiber arts, but knitting had alluded me. I think the most truthful factor was the (ridiculous) notion that knitting was a low level craft. All the knitters I’ve ever known were of the acrylic yarn from the discount store, Barbie clothes and toilet paper cover variety. In my mind, I was a fiber ARTIST. I create my own work. I don’t follow patterns. I don’t use cheap materials. As if that were the only knitting path.

I admit it. I was a highly misinformed idiot.

I’ve have a life-long love affair with wool, handspun fibers, hand dyed yarn, handmade woolly products, and it took a HUGE Oprah style A-HA moment to realize I could knit high-end, good quality, unique pieces. I know, DUH. Well, when you think Cheese Whiz is the only “cheese” out there (you don’t want to know about my distain for Cheese Whiz) you can’t know that Stilton will rock your world. I’m here to tell you that knitting (and Stilton) have rocked my world.

I am a knitter--Full in, crazy train, if I’m sittin’ I’m knitting, girl.

I started simply enough, where most people do with scarves, but it was soon not enough. And I made the leap quickly to the magical land of socks! Soft, scrunchy, self-patterning, self-striping, love them all socks.

I won’t bore you with my not so stellar beginning knits. We’ll jump right to my latest and greatest creations.

The ballerina pink socks are so sweet and soft. Love them!
Yarn: KnitCircus Tencel Merino Gradient Kettle Dyed
Colorway: Baby
Pattern: Vanilla Latte
If you’ve never tried KnitCircus’ yarn, it’s amazing. So nice to work with and the colors are outstanding. So vibrant.

I’ve started Susan B. Anderson’s Prairie Ridge Shawl. I bought the kit she created with Infinite Twist. It’s absolutely gorgeous yarn. Very nice to knit with, and the pattern is clear, easy to follow and memorize. This is my first shawl and I’m loving it.

I just cast on a new set of socks for my mother-in-law for Mother’s Day. These are her favorite colors.
Yarn: Ladybug Fiber Company Superwash Merino, Nylon & Silver Stellina
Colorway: Frost on the Pumpkin
Pattern: Vanilla Latte


These were one of my first pairs of sock. They have some issues around he gusset, but overall not too bad. 
Yarn: Felici Fingering Self Striping Superwash Merino

My obsession of the week: Ink Master. I love tattoo shows. I can’t help it. I really do love the art of tattooing. And the great TV that comes from bad tattoos.

And now for your moment of Zen:

Peace, love & wool,
Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment